Sunday 11 July 2010

Nice to MEAT you

If the problem arose that meat was to be banned worldwide I don't think it would phase me all that much. However, worldwide it is obvious that it would cause great controversy.

The average Briton eats 82g of protein daily, of which 50g is meat. This figure is 25-50% above the World Health Organisation recommendation.

In 2050 it is forecast that the global meat production will be 456 million tonnes - almost double that of 2001.

I would say 7/10 times I eat out I will choose a vegetarian dish. It is not a conscious decision not to eat meat, however sometimes I find vegetarian dishes more tasty and flavoursome. Generally because there is no meat there is an overcompensation with vegetables and therefore generally provides a healthier option.

Needless to say, because I am not a vegetarian I still enjoy eating meat and I personally see nothing wring with eating it. The majority of vegetarians choose not to eat meat because they feel it is morally wrong. My opinion on this is that it is natural for man to go out and hunt for food. Meat isn't necessary for survival, however it is natural instinct to hunt for food and throughout history this is how man survived.

Recent studies at Umea University found that young vegans may be missing out on essential vitamins and minerals. Other studies found that vegans lacked appropriate levels of riboflavin, vitamin B-12, vitamin D, calcium and selenium.

A British study involving 8000 subjects lead a Cambridge University professor to state that children born to vegetarian mothers are up to 5 times more likely to be born with 'deformities' and other birth defects which is a cause for concern.

Opinions on meat have been subject of many campaigns gaining support from many celebrities. Below are some campaigns which stand out to me.











It seems to me that there will never be an agreement on weather meat should be eaten and for this reason I feel eating meat can only be described as 'good'. Personally, because I don't want to hurt others feelings if I choose to eat meat and choosing to eat a vegetarian dish makes others question why I am doing so. This is a very sensitive and highly opinionated subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment